M-1 Nonimmigrant Student

A student in the United States with an M-1 status is studying full-time at a vocational school. Vocational schools are defined differently than colleges or universities, but generally refer to shorter programs where students learn a trade such a construction-related or service-related positions.

Unlike the F-1 visa, M-1 status is only good for one year. However, many other requirements of the program are the same, such as the need to demonstrate that you will be able to support yourself for the entire time that you are in the country. M-1 is a non-immigrant status, which means that you must demonstrate that you plan to return to your home country, particularly by maintaining a residence there and by proving that you have strong ties there in order to qualify.

After completing the program, it may be easier to receive full immigration status after moving back to your home country.

For more information or help with immigration issues in Washington State, it may be advisable to contact an experienced immigration attorney.


Leave a Comment